Coop, Remer & Squeak // BASEketball
“Does this couch fold out into a bed?”
“Yeah, a totally great bed. But that’s Jenkins’ bed. Your bed’s over here.”
“I think a lot about what makes a strong female character. You know, movies and TV shows, these things have influence, my own website. So I think the question of “What makes a strong female character?”, often goes misinterpreted. And instead we get these two-dimensional superwomen, who maybe have one quality that’s played up a lot. Like, you know, a Catwoman type, or she plays her sexuality up a lot and it’s seen as power. But they’re not strong characters who happen to be female, they’re completely flat and they’re basically cardboard characters.
The problem with this is that then people expect women to be that easy to understand, and women are mad at themselves for not being that simple. When in actuality, women are complicated. Women are multifaceted. Not because women are crazy, but because people are crazy. And women happen to be people!”
-Tavi Gevinson for TEDTalks [x]
Found this when I was going through my blog roll today. It’s all so true! I grew up in an environment where all the grown ups ever talked about was food, dieting, weight, how they felt “fat” and it had a lasting impression on me. I’m not saying it will necessarily cause an eating disorder, but by hearing these words said day in and day out your whole life, it really screws up your perception of what health is.
I can only say that I’m happy I escaped that dark cloud and realized what health is truly all about. These are things I will definitely pass on to my sons and daughters, they won’t hear any of those 10 things on the list!
Someone teach my mom
I wish my mum would read this
it doesn’t influence me anymore now that i’m conscious of how my mom has triggered me, but i really wish my mom would stop talking about dieting and how ‘fat’ she’s getting around my insecure little brother
my mom still thinks my ED was a joke
basically, anyone reading this knows that tumblr + studying = difficult. we’re all procrastinators. so i thought i’d share my favorite ways to crack down, not suck, and make it through finals week. you’ll need
- this or this. it’ll whip your ass into gear. you name a list of websites that distract you, set a timer, and bam. no more hour long study breaks. the best - or worst - part is, it can’t be undone by the application, by deleting the application, or by restarting the computer. you just gotta wait, and if you’re going to wait, you may as well study.
- goals. when you sit down to study, write down everything you’re going to do. then do it. aimlessly staring at your books won’t do shit.
- something to listen to. i suggest movie scores, song covers by the vitamin string quartet, or white noise.
- a queue. if you’re really obsessed with keeping your blog up to date, set aside some time, fatten up your queue, and let your blog run itself for a few days.
- breaks. during your breaks, dance, run around, work out, go for a walk, talk to your friends, call your mom. going back on the internet is an easy way to get out of the mood, so i wouldn’t suggest it.
- tea and coffee - if not for the caffeine, then for the feeling of cozying up with your text books and feeling studious.
- a place to study. it doesn’t matter if it’s in a coffee house, a library, or your kitchen table. as long as your bed’s not in sight and tempting you into a nap, you’re good.
that’s all i’ve got. i’d try to think of more, but that, my friends, would be procrastinating. off to study.
bringing this back because IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN